Pages

Sunday 22 July 2012

Guest Artist Feature July 2012

It's time for the first guest artist feature here on Hannah Goanna. I chose an artist who's latest work really amazed me: Deb Affleck - a fellow art student at Kogarah TAFE.

The story behind these works is that our drawing teacher guided us in making ink drawings by putting a bit of paint on one side of a piece of paper ripped from an old book, then folding the paper and opening to reveal the pattern. I showed some of my own works from these here and here.

Deb wasn't able to make it to that class, and so didn't realise that we were doing them so large! But I'm glad, because she ended up with these beautiful works:


They're not very big - unfortunately I did not measure them but maybe about  40-50cm tall? Deb has used string to bind the little ink drawings in the frames in a way that recall pinned insects! I am in love with them! Unfortunately these photos do not do them justice.




Here's what Deb has to say about these works titled "Life in Motion":

"This artwork evolved due to a number of associations I saw.
The Rorschach exercise got me thinking of my interpretation of how as a tool in psychiatry and psychology, Rorschach is used to attempt to 'pin down' a person's thoughts, shadows, patterns, processes, strengths, etc. This brought to mind images of butterflies being preserved & displayed in cases; colour and life pinned, no longer able to move.
In searching for the book to use [to rip paper out of], I was so fortunate to find the perfect one amongst the discard pile. Perfect because it told the mythological, archetypal story known as "The Hero's Journey"-a concept used in various healthcare modalities to encourage people along their healing and life journey. "The Jason Voyage" by Tim Severin told the tale of how a man with a passionate vision convinced others to join him in proving that the Greek myth of Jason and The Golden Fleece was probable, and not a fable. They did it in 1984.
They lived and breathed The Hero's Journey, and combining this with the Rorschach concept and the butterfly concept fueled a passion in me to create this artwork.
I hope you enjoy, and are uplifted by it."
Deb Affleck 2012

Please leave comments if you like these as much as I do!

You can contact Deb at either of these emails:
debaffle_ck@hotmail.com
debaffleckartist@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment